Saturday, February 21, 2009

Disposable electronics?

Every once in a while a gizmo breaks in my house or office. The cost of repairing an old VCR or pair of headphones becomes ridiculous. I recently had to throw out an HP multifunction printer- the cable that runs the print heads had jammed and broken. HP or actually anyone wanted about $200 for a repair IF they could do it. A new, better one was $399 .

Recently my RCA combo VCR/DVD recorder died. No power- no lights. Must be a dead power supply. I checked RCA and the store that I had gotten it from and found it was of course out of warranty and this brand line was actually sold from RCA to another company. I figured I would search for a new one and in the process decided to go to Google and type in " power supply problem RCA VCR/DVD recorder ( and the model #)". Lo and behold there were many posts about a known problem with a capacitor in the power supply. One nice guy from PA had posted "send me an email and I will give free you step by step instructions on how to replace this for under $10"-even an dentist could do this! His underlying message was that we consumers are getting screwed by manufacturers who put out items in a hurry without proper testing and as long as they last 1 year and a day, they are fine.

Thanks to Mike Adams in PA who sent me this info along with some nice things to say about dentistry and his dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment